Monday, April 28, 2008

Free pattern for no one

I wrote up the pattern for my ball jar cosy for the two other knitters in the world who would even need a mason jar cosy. ill post picture once its finished blocking. ive never written out a pattern before so be kind.

Edit- i wrote up the pattern before the cozy was finished drying from blocking. the fabric stretched quite a bit after it was dry. this could be due to the fact i pulled it on and off a few times while it was still wet but im going to assume that it was the cotton's natural bloom. becuase of this i would recommend knitting this with a size 6 instead of the size 7s listed. i havent tried this but i will be casting on for another soon. i dont particularly mind the growth as the cozy doesnt fall off or anything but is a little loose so i would recommend the needle change to those who want a very snug cozy.



Knitted Ball Jar Cozy*

*note the jar I have is a Kerr 1 quart wide mouth mason jar. if you have a different size or brand you may have to adjust the pattern.

materials- .25 skein Lion Brand Cottonease
size 7 24" needles (for magic loop) or set of 4 size 7 dpn if you prefer it
gauge- 4 st. to the inch in stockinette stitch

pattern stitch- Chevron Stitch
Multiple of 8 sts + 1

Row 1: k1, *p7, k1; rep from *
Row 2: k1, *p7, k1; rep from *
Row 3: k2, *p5, k3; rep from *, end p5, k2
Row 4: k2, *p5, k3; rep from *, end p5, k2
Row 5: k3, *p3, k5; rep from *, end p3, k3
Row 6: k3, *p3, k5; rep from *, end p3, k3
Row 7: k4, *p1, k7; rep from *, end p1, k4
Row 8: k4, *p1, k7; rep from *, end p1, k4
Row 9: Rep Row 2
Row 10: Rep Row 1
Row 11: Rep Row 4
Row 12: Rep Row 3
Row 13: Rep Row 6
Row 14: Rep Row 5
Row 15: Rep Row 8
Row 16: Rep Row 7

Pattern
Co. 8 stitches divide for magic loop

Round 1- *k1, increase 1 by knitting into the front and back of next stitch (kfb)* repeat to end of round-12 st.
Round 2 and all subsequent even rounds-knit
Round 3- *knit 2, kfb* repeat to end of round-16 st.
Round 5- *knit 3, kfb* repeat- 20 st.
Round 7- *knit 4, kfb* repeat- 24 st.
Round 9- *knit 5, kfb* repeat- 28 st.
Round 10 *knit 6, kfb* repeat- 32 st.
Round 11 *knit 7, kfb* repeat- 36 st.
Round 12 *knit 8, kfb* repeat- 40 st.
purl 1 round
next round-start chevron stitch pattern and repeat twice
next round-purl 3, slip 1, purl 2tog, pass slip stitch over, *purl 5, slip 1, purl 2tog, psso* repeat until 6 stitches before slip 1, purl 2tog, psso, purl 3.
purl 5 round
BO loosely.

I blocked the cozy on the jar. this seemed the eliminate the little nipple that is formed by the increases on the bottom.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you from "no one then"
A friend told me you had a pattern posted for a mason jar cozy.I'm new to knitting but learning.I will make it and let you know how it turns out

amileinmyshoes said...

This is great! I use jars all the time and have always lamented their cold/hot feel on my little ol' hands.

e. spears said...

this is a great idea, think ill try it. thank you.

Sarah said...

I definitely need this pattern. Thanks!

K2tog said...

I have been know for years for my "signature" mason jar full of iced coffee or tea - then CUPPOW came along and validated my years old obsession for Mason Jars. - I have needed one of these for years!!! I am starting it now. http://cuppow.com/

Maureen Drake said...

How many stitches do you CO for US7 dpns? I didn't see this in your pattern. Thank you for the beautiful posting!

Unknown said...

I'm making this for my mom for her 73rd birthday. Can you tell me how many stitches you cast on for the DPN's?